Idahound's Raw Diet Guide
How To Feed Your Hound (adult dogs)1. Determine your dog's daily consumption
We suggest feeding your adult dog 2-3% of your dog’s target body weight daily. The feeding chart below calculates TOTAL DAILY portions based on 2.5% of body weight being fed. To determine portions for two feedings a day, split the total portion in half. Use our chart as a guide, but remember that, like us, your dog’s consumption isn’t formulaic. On active days, when his or her caloric expenditure is high, think about feeding more. Likewise, if you’ve already given your dog a bone or a handful of treats, consider feeding less.
Portion Size Feeding Table
|Dog Weight||Portion of 1 lb. log||Portion of 1/4 lb. ball|
|5 lbs.||1/8 Log||1/2 Ball|
|10 lbs.||1/4 Log||1 Ball|
|15 lbs.||3/8 Log||1 1/2 Ball|
|20 lbs.||1/2 Log||2 Balls|
|30 lbs.||3/4 Log||3 Balls|
|40 lbs.||1 Log||4 Balls|
|50 lbs.||1 1/4 Log||5 Balls|
|60 lbs.||1 1/2 Log||6 Balls|
|70 lbs.||1 3/4 Log||7 Balls|
|80 lbs.||2 Logs||8 Balls|
|90 lbs.||2 1/4 Logs||9 Balls|
|100 lbs.||2 1/2 Logs||10 Balls|
2. Grab a Tupperware container. Begin thawing 2-3 days’ worth of logs in the refrigerator. Product will be ready in 8-10 hours.
3. You're ready to feed! Grab a log(s) or a bag of balls, pull open the top of the bag, and squeeze the necessary portions into your dog’s food bowl.
4. Wash your hands. After handling any kind of raw meat you should thoroughly wash your hands and any dirty containers.
Pro Tip: watch this video to see how co-founder Chris, co Founder of Idahound, deals with raw food and makes the feeding process as convenient as possible.
Idahound’s Raw Meaty BonesRaw meaty bones are the greatest way to clean your dog’s teeth. As nature’s toothbrushes, they are also a bit messy and should be fed outdoors, on a deck, or in a garage.
If your dog is inexperienced with raw bones, we recommend no more more than 5-10 minutes of chewing for his or her first couple of sessions. A gradual introduction will allow them a smoother digestive transition. Passively monitor your dog’s chewing to ensure they're being safe.
1. Pull a raw meaty Idahound bone from the freezer.
2. Go outside or in the garage and open the bag.
3. Let your hound enjoy!
4. If desired, grab the remaining bone using the original bag and refreeze to be chewed again.